In order to recover the Transmission Grid from a partial or complete shutdown, it is necessary to have certain generating stations (Black Start power stations) to be capable to start up from the shutdown mode and energize customers autonomously within no more than one (1) hour (without getting electricity from the outside) after the Dispatch Licensee receives appropriate instructions.
As of today, based on testing carried out in 2020, TSOs are able to provide black start using the following power plants:
1. Combined Cycle Thermal Power Plant 2 (CCTPP 2);
2. Khrami-1 (JSC Khramhesi-1);
3. Dariali HPP (JSC Dariali Energy);
4. Zhinvali HPP (Georgian Water and Power Ltd);
5. Enguri HPP (Engurhesi Ltd);